There are so many things we love about this time of year! The warmer weather, longer and sunnier days, all things garden, and of course fresh, local produce! When it comes to fresh fruits and vegetables, you cannot beat the taste and quality that comes with buying local. Not only does buying local taste better but it also stimulates and supports our local economy! How awesome is that?
We recently took a trip to Wrightland Farm, located just down the road in Harrow, ON. Keith and Susan Wright took some time to show us around their asparagus farm. (Click here, to watch the video we put together documenting the experience). We learned a lot about asparagus during our afternoon visit, and we couldn’t help but bring some fresh asparagus back with us to enjoy! As Keith likes to say, “It’s a short season, so enjoy often!” You don’t have to tell us twice!
There are dozens of ways to enjoy asparagus, but one of our favourites is paired with our very own cherry tomatoes, drizzled with a sweet balsamic reduction (made with The Garlic Box Balsamic vinegar with garlic), and topped with freshly grated parmesan cheese! This recipe is simple and can be enjoyed as a delicious side dish in as little as 20 minutes! Give it a try yourself…
Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Asparagus & Tomatoes
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup The Garlic Box balsamic vinegar with garlic
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as preferred
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Add a small amount of olive oil to oven safe baking dish.
- Rinse asparagus and tomatoes. Snap the ends off asparagus and slice tomatoes in half. Place both asparagus and tomatoes into baking dish (asparagus on one side and tomatoes onto the other side within the dish). Season, as desired with salt and pepper, and then place into oven for approximately 15 minutes or until asparagus begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, add your balsamic vinegar to a small pot. Cook over medium heat for approximately 15 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Once your asparagus and tomatoes are done, top with grated parmesan cheese and drizzle with your balsamic reduction.
How do you like to enjoy your asparagus? Comment below!